Digital Marketing Defined
Digital marketing is the advertising and promotion of businesses and their brands via digital media channels.
Digital media includes:
- Social media
- Transit signs
With items such as QR codes, URL landing pages, and web banner directories, traditional marketing typically always has connections to some form of digital marketing.
Why the Focus on Digital Media?
A shift towards digital marketing is happening across marketing agencies, business owners, and customers alike. There are many different reasons why a business may shift towards digital media.
Why digital media?
- Much easier to track metrics with digital marketing than with traditional marketing media (ex: print advertising).
- Digital advertising typically has very low costs.
- Consumers’ fast-paced life makes digital advertising much more convenient for them.
Using Digital Media to Build Your Business and Brand
Effective, low-cost digital channels can be used no matter how big or small a business. Websites are essentially the foundation of all a business’ marketing efforts.
- Adequately represents a business and brand (messaging, look and feel).
- Speak to an appropriate target audience.
- Can be located by searching in top search engines.
- Are up to date and easy to use.
- Provide different channels to communicate with customers.
- Tie in other marketing efforts.
Businesses should consider their websites as a top investment for a business because all other digital channels should lead the viewer to them. Once a website is complete, it is recommended to form regular email campaigns to stay in close contact with your target audience.
Another essential element to consider is budgeting for search marketing. Search engine optimization (SEO) and pay-per-click advertising are imperative to drive traffic to a business’ website. Building a website around specific keywords and phrases will increase the chances of being reached by top search rankings.